Thursday, September 22, 2005

Nokia 3660, Bluetooth and Internet

Got fed up with the IrDA communication between my mobile(Nokia 3660) and the PC, so decided to go for an USB Bluetooth Adapter/Dongle. Searched through various online shops and found some really cheap ones for around $8. The last time i checked, price was around Rs.1000 in the local market, so this was a very good price. Encouraged, called a computer shop and checked for the latest local price and whoa! its for Rs. 450 now. Hurried to the shop and got 'advik' bluetooth adapter which came with the Bluesoliel driver.

A new computer device sometimes means a lot of problems and this was that time. I tried and tried and tried but in vain. I searched through articles on the internet, read through nokia and the driver docs, uninstalled and re-installed the software(Bluetooth driver and Nokia PC Suite)...but with little luck. Finally installed the latest versions of both Bluetooth driver and PC Suite, followed the directions from readme file of PC Suite and everything fell in place! Filled with joy, I copied all the images from my phone to the PC, transferred some files to my phone and installed the NetFront Web Browser. It was all a breeze from the PC Suite.

Now was the time for a test: how to share my PC's internet connection with my phone through the bluetooth connection. There were some threads at allaboutsymbian and other sites to help me out and it was a rather simple procedure. Browsed google with NetFront on my phone and felt satisfied. 8hrs of work with some positive results in the end :) NetFront and Opera both cost money after the trial period, so now the hunting starts for an open source HTML browser for series 60 devices.
(NOTE: Nokia is currently working on an open-source browser for its devices )