Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hunt for an mp3 player: Zen or iPod?

The easy job was done when I planned to buy an mp3 player for myself; then started the hard job of choosing which mp3 player to go with. Quickly zeroed-in on these 4 players:

Creative Zen Micro 5GB (USD 190, offer: USD 165)
Apple iPod mini 4GB (USD 200, offer:USD 170)
Creative Zen Touch 20GB(USD 205)
Apple iPod 20GB (USD 230)

I could not find any offers currently for iPod 20Gb or the Zen Touch.
All the reviews I read on the web(amazon, cnet, mp3.com, tomshardware. anandtech etc) either said that the players from Creative have superior audio quality or said that the difference is not very much. Creative players definitely have the price advantage. But iPod wins in a crucial department:'style' statement. Its cool to possess an iPod these days and not so for any other player. The problem for me is I am buying from US but I don't live in US; so I prefer a player with user-replaceable battery. Only Zen Micro has this feature. But iPod mini looks so cute in its green, pink colours.
what to do? I still have a few days left to make the decision and most probably I will go with the Creative Zen Micro player.